Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm Lazy

I'm lazy. I haven't kept up with this blog for a while. Nor have I finished a game in the last month. Here's what I have done: drewdunaj.itch.io

I did finish a game that I didn't post about. I made it after Candy Island and it's called Punchy Face. It's a top down action game. More complex than Pseudomo, but still simple enough that I made one level for it in a month. Check it out here: drewdunaj.itch.io/pf


After that, I immediately started working on a Cyberpunk Jam game. I made some serious progress in a couple days, but hit a bug that wrecked everything - including my vigor.

So I moped around for a while. Played some games, which I hadn't really done in months. Specifically, more Hotline Miami, FTL and GTAV. But also LUFTRAUSERS, by Vlambeer. I've never played one of their games, and I was shocked by how great it felt to play. I watched a video of Jan Willem Nijman talking about how he makes their games feel good and it kicked my creativity back into gear.

At the same time, one of my best friends, Jacob Mercer-Pontier, or MP, was getting into programming. And right around the time GameMaker was having a sale, it was perfect. He got it for free, so did a few of my other friends. I've been trying for months if not years to get all fo them into game development and now some of them are. It's nice for a socially awkward guy like me to have close friends that want to make games together.

So now we're making a game called Horse Duster, it's a dumb top down shooter where you play a horse in a cowboy outfit piloting a giant robot in a cowboy outfit, trying to defend your farm from an alien invasion. It will be loud and goofy and hopefully it will make you laugh.

Rather than using dropbox I now use drewdunaj.itch.io . I really like that site, it hosts a lot of game jams so there is always some new little game to play. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment